The Petsafe 5-Meal Feeder is one of the best automatic feeders around, with a digital timer that gives you more accuracy when feeding.
Below is a full review of this feeder with all the information you need to decide if this unit is right for your needs. In this review, we give you a description of this product, features, pros and cons, tips from current customers to use this automatic feeder better and final conclusions.
Description PetSafe Eatwell Five Meal Feeder
The PetSafe 5-meal feeder feeds your pet automatically up to 5 times a day, including 4 programmable meals. With this feeder, you don't have to worry about your cat not eating or overeating. With the digital timer you can set a set feeding schedule at intervals between each meal. For example, you can set it to give equal portions 5 times a day (the first meal is open at the beginning), or one meal a day for 5 days, or 2 meals a day for 2 and a half days, and so on.
- Automatic feeder made of robust polypropylene.
- 5 compartments with a capacity of 1 cup of dry food (230 g).
- Securely locked lid.
- Very easy to programme with digital timer.
- Removable feeding bowl for easy cleaning.
- Operates with batteries only.
- Requires 4-D batteries, not included.
- One-year limited warranty
- Dimensions: 38 x 12 x 46 cm; 1.8 kg
See here the first encounter of a cat with the automatic feeding box:
Advantages and disadvantages of the automatic feeding trough
- Unique dish feeder with digital timer.
- Very easy to programme and operate.
- The digital timer is very accurate.
- The programming does not have to be restarted every day, it is a one-off thing, so you can relax unless you want to change the times or remove the batteries.
- Easy to refill.
- Deep compartments that can each hold 1 cup of dry food.
- Made of durable and resistant materials.
- Sturdy so your cat or dog cannot tip it over.
- It works with rechargeable batteries.
- The feeder has a good grip at the bottom.
- The food bowl can be easily removed and is dishwasher safe
- Batteries seem to last a long time.
- Good solution for overnight stays.
- You can easily set 5 feeding times and also set the feeding times at any time.
- The motor of the feeder makes a buzzing sound when the dish turns (lasts 2 seconds).
- It is not a cat-safe automatic feeder. Some clever cats (more likely to be oriental breeds) can figure out how to turn the tray with their paws.
- You can only programme 4 meals, as the first is currently being served.
- It does not have an ON/OFF switch, so you have to remove the batteries if you want to switch it off (if you use it every day, you do not have to switch it off).
- The device does not have a low battery indicator.
- Very difficult to insert and remove batteries.
- The device does not retain its programming after the batteries have been removed.
- Use with moist food is not good for more than 24 hours because it has no ice pack under the tray (it has a small compartment to put ice that is only under the currently presented compartment).
- The feeding bowl is not perfectly aligned with the lid opening.
Some tips from people who currently use the PetSafe automatic feeder:
- Before you leave your cat alone with the Petsafe food bowl:
Like all food bowls, you should try several times before leaving your pet alone with the bowl. This way you will ensure that your cat or dog gets used to the motor noise which lasts for approx. 2 seconds. Sometimes this feeder does not align the lid with the feeding bowl. To check the alignment, program a fake feeding time and test it. If the lid is aligned, program the meals and make sure the tray does not move too much.
- How best to assemble and fill the Petsafe 5 meals
Before using the Petsafe 5 food bowl, ensure you remove the instruction label on the lid to allow the lid to rotate without difficulty. If you remove the instruction label, you can print it from the Petsafe website.
Make sure you push the lip down until it "clicks" so that the bowl is locked to the small guide at the back of the base. This way your cat cannot move the lid with its paw to get more food from the next bowl.
If the compartments ever get out of centre, there is a button that moves the motor (turns the compartments) and re-centres the lid.
Never fill the food bowl in the presence of your cat. It will know that all the food is in there and will try to avoid the bowl feeder.
- How to use the Petsafe 5 food bowl with moist food
If you want to feed your cat moist food, freeze all meals for 12 hours before placing them in the bowl. Then divide the food into the tray for the compartments that will be fed within the first 10 hours. For the trays that will open after 10 hours, leave it frozen in the shape of the tin, as it will take longer to defrost this way.
This is an excellent product if fitted properly, which is easy. With the PetSafe 5-meal you can feed your cat dry and wet food (with some modifications for wet food) and it has an affordable price.
I recommend the PetSafe 5 meals:
- For anyone who works and has to feed their dog or cat several times a day.
- For dogs or cats who need to lose weight because you can feed your pet specific portions throughout the day.
I recommend it with reservations:
- To give your pet wet food: Only if the feeding cycle lasts 24 hours and if you place the food on the tray as described in # 3 customer tips.
This device may not be suitable:
- If your cat is stressed or frightened, this food bowl will make a loud engine noise when the lid is turned.
- If you want to use the feeder for more than two days or if you want your pet to eat 2 or 3 times a day. It can be used for up to 5 days if the cat eats dry food once a day.
- When using moist food and it is very hot weather (due to lack of general cooling).